Wednesday, May 5, 2010

We Had A Baby

IT'S A BOY!

Leo Alexander Walden was welcomed into our lives at 7:34am on Friday, April 30th, 2010. He was 8 pounds, 7 ounces and 22 1/4 inches long. He's absolutely perfect. In fact, those were the exact words I whispered the first time I saw him. I am still awed to tears that we are as blessed as we are. I am forever indebted for these gifts that we have been given.

Thursday night, I was putting together my Patient Care Plan and drug cards for clinical on Friday. About 10pm, I started to get contractions again, but it wasn't the first time. They really didn't hurt, but were noticeable. About midnight, I started to time them. At 1 am, they started to hurt and I put my work down. I suddenly became very restless. I had so much to do, it seemed. I told Adam that we might be going to the hospital. He was remarkably calm. By 2am, my contractions were just under 3 minutes apart and very painful. We woke up Patrick and went to the hospital. We were admitted about 2:40 and Leo was born about 5 hours later.

His delivery was flawless. No pitocin again, a definite epidural (which kind of wore off at the end, but it ended up not being too bad), and a few more pushes than it took to get Patrick out and he was here. I was the only patient in delivery that morning, and the entire staff was in and out of my room at some point, it seemed. I delivered right at shift change and I heard that the staff from the night shift were standing outside of my door waiting for the news when Leo was born. I was touched.

I watched Adam's face as our new son was born. I saw a look on him I don't think that I have seen before. It was such pride and humility that it brought me to tears. Adam was silent. As the doctor laid Leo at the foot of the bed, I still could not see him. I had no idea the sex. I tried to get Adam's attention, but he was glued. He had one tear running down each side of his face and he was just staring. Finally, he leaned down and whispered, "Catie...it's a boy." His voiced choked a little. He was euphoric.

Leo is beautiful. Dark hair (not too much, but enough), darker complexion, long fingers, toes, and feet. He's perfect. I can't say it enough. He is. He's about as sweet as he can possibly be, wanting nothing more than to snuggle all day. He's very laid back and content. He loves his mother.

I'm in love. All over again, I am in love. I was really anticipating a girl, but I am thrilled beyond explanation with this new bundle of blue. Our first few days have been bliss. I feel great. I'm still soaking it in. We're a family of four. It seems like my pregnancy ended so abruptly, but it's ok. I have this little dream family and I almost can't believe it. More to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dad

October, 2019 Nearly seven weeks ago, my dad died.  Writing that seems as surreal as the actual experience.  And yet, here I sit, fatherless...