Monday, January 3, 2011

Memory Lane

In desperate need of a day out today (refusing to sit at home for the last few days of Christmas break), Patrick, Leo and I had a nice little lunch together at Paradise Cafe.  Even tiny Leo enjoyed some tortilla strips dipped in tomato soup.  Having no idea what we were going to do next, I decided to call my old boss to see if he would be in for a visit.  It has been a while since I visited my former workplace, having left just two months after Adam and I got married.  Thankfully, he was in, so we stopped by the bakery for cupcakes and headed north to my old stomping grounds.

Sigh.  I miss that area.  As I was driving, it just became second nature.  The turns, the right lanes to get in for the most efficient traffic maneuvering...  We stayed much longer than we meant to, partially because Patrick was in heaven with so many new people to talk to, and we got to see several old coworkers (Hi, Rob!).  After leaving, I decided to take Patrick (Leo was asleep) on a little This-Was-My-Life tour.  We went by my two old apartments as I explained to Patrick that these were the places Mommy lived before he was around.  We talked about how I lived by myself and with my sister.  As I drove really slowly past the last place (my favorite one), I must have changed my terminology to "This is where I lived when I was single."

Here is what ensued:

Patrick:  Wha-a---a---  Whaaa-at is single?
Mom: It means before I was married to your Daddy.
Patrick:  Ok.  Buuuuut you are not single now.  You are my Mom now.
Mom:  I know.  I married your Daddy and we had you and Leo. 
Patrick:  Uh-huh.  A--aaa---aaaand now you run and jump and laugh really loud because you are so happy.
Mom:  You are literally my favorite person right now.
Patrick (thumb in mouth):  Mm-hmm.

We've come a long way, baby.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dad

October, 2019 Nearly seven weeks ago, my dad died.  Writing that seems as surreal as the actual experience.  And yet, here I sit, fatherless...