Thursday, March 3, 2011

Guess What?

This blog is sometimes a struggle...what to make public and what to chronicle for our own recollection later (because we do go back and read entries; it's like keeping a diary.  There are many, many things that we so quickly forget.)  Because this is our family blog, and because people who read it probably know us, I have opted to just put things out there.  If we experience unhappy times or unfortunate losses, my hope is that people who read this offer us respect and support.  We are, after all, only human. 



That being said, we are overjoyed to share the presence of Baby Walden #3...who likely makes our family almost complete.  While the initial shock has worn off, we find ourselves still in a dream-like state.  Seriously, this is happening?  Now?  The whole surprise notion is a little foreign to us, especially since we have two very planned (Patrick was kind-of planned, but very expected) little boys.  This one just sort of...happened.  Granted, there is always the thought of having another baby that lives in the back of my mind...and it probably always will.  I get that much from my mom, I gather.  I shouldn't have been surprised by this, but I was.  There wasn't any forethought or discussion, just the increasingly-dark line on the pregnancy tests...of which I have now taken 12.  That is a new personal record, and absolutely insane, I realize.  One of them came in handy and was dug out of the bathroom trash as Adam, also in disbelief, needed proof when I told him the news.  Despite all of that, we are happy.  Really happy. 

Back on track, we went to the doctor today...a new one, who was wonderful!  He's actually the same MD who delivered Adam, all of his siblings, and my nieces and nephew, which makes for a good story when this one grows up.  I'm 8 weeks along and feeling sometimes very pregnant and other times, not at all.  I'm starting to show already, naturally.  From what I understand, it happens faster and faster with each subsequent pregnancy.  I believe that.  My due date coincides with my parents' 35th wedding anniversary, which means I may or may not get a chance to celebrate with them that day.  I have a feeling that I'll be forgiven. 

Patrick is very excited about the possibility of a new brother, and refuses to accept the idea that he could potentially have a sister.  In fact, if we talk about it, he will sometimes start to cry, and is now convinced that he is carrying a baby girl, which only means that I must be carrying a baby boy.  He is very much stuck on the idea of having a gang of brothers.  To be honest, I would be happy with the same.  Or with a sweet baby girl.  I know nobody believes it, but I absolutely do not care one way or another.  Not even a little.  Sometimes, I think of how nice it would be to have bows and dresses in my life, but also daydream about toting a van-full of boys to the soccer fields on Saturdays.  I think that who we're blessed with is part of the fun of having kids.  For that reason, we won't be finding out the sex of the baby again (this will drive some people, i.e., Kelly, absolutely nuts.  I am sorry about that.)

So, there it is!  We've known for a few weeks now, and I've been blogging and saving some entries as drafts.  I'll go back and see what I've written and decide later whether or not to post.  We've taken one belly picture, and I know that's WAY early, but I'll post that later, too.  Hooray for growing families, for plans that sometimes change, for things working out how they are supposed to, and for the happy surprises that keep us on our toes.  If my heart could smile, it would.

2 comments:

  1. Well aren't I glad I checked in! Congratulations to your great little family! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm just catching up on your blog and want to say congratulations! I had to read the 12 pregnancy tests out loud to Ryan...we were cracking up! Love your blog...especially the story about Patrick's baby girl being disgusting in his belly followed by an explosion that ruined his cutest jeans. :) You are too much, and someday, I hope we can meet that little man who has brought so much entertainment to my life! -Amy Abell

    ReplyDelete

Dad

October, 2019 Nearly seven weeks ago, my dad died.  Writing that seems as surreal as the actual experience.  And yet, here I sit, fatherless...