Thursday, March 31, 2011

Names?? I Don't Like Names!

While we are just barely exiting the first trimester (I like to think it goes until week 13..technically, it kind of does), Adam and I find ourselves in the name war again.  Well, it's not exactly a war so much...just a snag.  This snag will likely last until delivery.  Yesterday, while I should have been doing other very important things, I decided on four names (two boy and two girl) that I loved.  Not liked, loved.  Then I wrote out a pretend Christmas card greeting and signed all of our names to the bottom, just to see what it looked like.  (Yes, I did this four separate times.  What should I have been doing instead?  Taking notes for an extremely long lecture?  Certainly not.) 

Anyway, I was so proud of myself.  Job = done.  Our kid would have a name.  Then came the Adam discussion, which went something like this:

Me: I have come up with the short list of names for the baby.  They are: A., B., C., and D. (Naturally, I'm substituting letters here.  I would never just name the kid a letter.)
Adam:  Yeeaaaahhh...I'm pretty sure I've heard all of these before and I'm pretty sure we've already thrown them out.
Me: Not using them is not the same as throwing them out.
Adam:  Whose turn is it to name the baby?  Is it yours?
Me:  Yes, it is mine.
Adam:  And now you're lying.  It's mine.  Take a back seat, honey.

I lost.  So help me, if our child's name sounds like it came from a popular teen show in the 90's or is so flowery that it should be scented, I might scream.  I don't know if I like this "Your turn, my turn" deal anymore.  I would like to renege.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dad

October, 2019 Nearly seven weeks ago, my dad died.  Writing that seems as surreal as the actual experience.  And yet, here I sit, fatherless...