Friday, June 3, 2011

Ten, Now Eight...

Our home is seldom very clean
The meals are not as good
And we no longer take a bath,
As we ordinarily would.

The hamper is overflowing,
The ironing is seldom done,
And the socks that were neatly in the drawer,
Are practically down to none.

She was such a happy mother,
Our house was so shiny and so bright,
And she was nicely even-tempered,
And a smiling ray of light.

But all that now has changed,
Dust “neath the bed does pool."
Where is that playful mother?
Well, our Mom goes to school.

She has no time for cleaning,
We kids must do our best,
We’re having eggs for dinner?
Mom must have a test.

She got a little restless,
A nurse she had to be,
She begged Dad to quit her job
But why did he agree?!

Every day she packs her books,
And walks out of the door,
We’d like to try and stop her,
But we’re sticking to the floor.

We take our vitamins and drink our juice,
Cause it would be quite cruel,
If we caught a cold and fever
And our Mom couldn’t go to school.

So if you’re in the hospital,
And on your back you lie
If you happen to see a student nurse
Tell our Mom we all said – Hi!

Two weeks of summer session down, eight to go.  Isn't the countdown getting a little obnoxious?  It is to me, too.  Nothing is going as slowly as this is, but perhaps that is because I have never worked so hard for something in my life.  (Let's be fair...though I appreciate my liberal arts degrees, Art History isn't rocket science.)

That being said, I'm having a bit of a rough time with one particular hospital staff this session.  There is an expression that nurses eat their young...and, sadly, I find that to be somewhat true.  However, I tend not to let it get to me--it's not that big of a deal.  Just get me through this.  And please let me never end up like that--bitter and mean. 

Work is fabulous.  Just fabulous.  I love where I am.  Colleen told me years ago (long before nursing came on the horizon) that I was nothing but rainbows and lollipops and I didn't belong outside of a Labor and Delivery unit...and she has a point.  Though the entire Maternal/Child field appeals to me (Antepartum, L&D, NICU, PICU, general peds, etc.), I do feel like I have a niche.  I'm pretty good under pressure, but I also like to talk through things, rub an arm and hold a hand and give a little encouragement.  Today, I followed in Neuro...not my field.  Not by a long shot.  Impressive, but not for me.  And do you know what?  I find comfort in that.  I feel like I'm pursuing a field that I belong in without having any doubt that I might be making a wrong decision.  I feel good about what's ahead.

That being said, I don't feel that great about what's going on now.  I am worn so thin.  I am.  I think I am tired more than anything, and I can tough through it just fine, but I feel  like I am just doing things half-assedly, and I hate that.  I mean, I HATE that.  Everyone here deserves more than that, but it's all I have.  I'm doing what I can.  In the long run, these few months are nothing.  But right now, they seem a little brutal.  Thank God I am a quick learner.  If I wasn't, I'd be screwed.

Pass the sour gummies (Jolly Rancher sours tonight...just the best!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dad

October, 2019 Nearly seven weeks ago, my dad died.  Writing that seems as surreal as the actual experience.  And yet, here I sit, fatherless...