Friday, July 22, 2011

It's Beginning to Look a Lot Like Christmas...

July 20, 2011
Less than one week until I finish with school.  It really does feel like Christmas around this house.  Everyone is in a great mood, gifts are coming out for everyone, and it just seems like the best time of the year.  For example, from Adam I received a beautiful diamond bracelet.  (Way too generous, but I only had it for a couple of days before I had to return it.  Who know it would snag so badly?  In return, I got a different type of diamond bracelet AND diamond earrings.  Nice work, Adam.  A+)


And then Patrick surprised me again with a little picture he drew of me.  In this one, I'm fishing.  He also gets an A+.

Colleen came by and dropped off a fantastic new watch...not a work watch, mind you.  A dress watch.  And I love it. 

(This does not mean I need any graduation presents.  READ:  Please don't buy presents.  Being done with this entire ordeal is present enough.  I mean it.  I'm talking to you.)  But see what I mean about it being Christmas?  Even Adam got a little gift (it's no diamond bracelet):


Being that everyone is in a really good mood these days, after class yesterday, I decided that Patrick and I needed a date.  Another one, since the last one flopped a little.  We opted for some Winnie The Pooh action.  Admittedly, I was probably more excited than he was, but Patrick loves movie theaters and readily agreed it was a great idea. 

Off we went.  Patrick talked in excitement the entire 15 minutes to the theater.  He "bought" the tickets for us both.  He picked out snacks (popcorn and Sour Patch Watermelon Slices) and our seats.  We were ready.  On the way in, he saw posters for Transformers and Captain America.  The previews showed clips from Spy Kids and The Muppets.  Patrick could barely stand it.  He looked over at me and in a very high-pitched sing-song voice said, "This is awwwwweeeesssoooommeee."

Then the movie started.  It was adorable.  Simple.  No fuss.  Easy to follow.  Maybe it wasn't really up Patrick's alley, per se.  Halfway through, he leaned over and whispered, "This movie is ok, but do you want to go watch Optimus?"  Maybe Patrick's tastes are a little more grown that my simple WTP.  He craves action.  I crave sweetness.  Oh well.  It was still a lot of fun, and now we have an excuse to go back and watch Transformers, since I have, admittedly, developed a weird robot crush on Optimus Prime and his sultry voice.  This is what happens when you raise boys, I guess. 

Toward the end of the movie, Patrick started complaining about being hot.  That theater was freezing.  I blew it off.  We went shopping for a little bit (he loves shopping, especially shoe shopping.  Everywhere we went we stopped to look at shoes.  He has fantastic taste.)  He wanted me to carry him.  On the way home, he complained about being hot, then cold, then hot.  Still, nothing registered.  We walked in the door and Adam immediately picked up on something.  "Is he feeling ok?"  I looked at Patrick and saw what Adam did.  Little red rings around his eyes and the sad sick face.  I'm an idiot.  Temp?  102.9.  Fantastic.  But Patrick still insisted he was fine.  Not sick, he told us over and over.  Fine. 

Then Leo woke up from his nap.  He was especially grumpy.  And warm.  Temp?  103.3.  Even better.  He laid his head on my chest and started to whimper.  Patrick started to complain about his bones hurting.  Adam got up and went to the store for some Tylenol and Ibuprofen.  In we settled for a long night of very hot kids and taking turns getting up to check on them individually.  Inevitably, Patrick ended up in our bed (his favorite place), which meant that we all got a better night's sleep...until he was up vomiting with a bloody nose and a nasty cough.  Fantastic. 

It can still be Christmas with sick kids, right?

Here are Patrick and I at the movie.  (I am terrible at selfies, but you can probably still pick up on what I was missing.  Obviously, this kid didn't feel well.)



And later on the same night:


To be continued...


No comments:

Post a Comment

Dad

October, 2019 Nearly seven weeks ago, my dad died.  Writing that seems as surreal as the actual experience.  And yet, here I sit, fatherless...