Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Blog Stew

If you could read my mind and see all the great blog posts I have mentally compiled over the last few weeks, you would be impressed.  I am certain of it.  Truth be told, I quite often think of things about which to write, but then life gets busy (which is kind of an understatement), and I get tired and it never gets posted.  Alas, I will try to catch you up.  I'll start with most recent and work my way back. 

1.) I find it my calling this summer to bring back the friendship bracelet.  (Did you see the last posts about the projects?  Add this one to the list.)  Actually, I decided on a whim to buy some clearance skiens of embroidery thread a few weeks back and have made several little bracelets since.  I'm trying to recall the cool techniques I once knew, and started on this one last night.  First, it's about an inch thick and features 18 different threads.  Second, it takes about an hour per inch.  This one is intense, but it'll be great once it's done.  And then, my sister will likely make me cut it off for her wedding.  Maybe I should look into a clasp for this one...


2.) Recently (as in maybe a year ago and worsening since), we have noticed that out little Patrick sometimes seemed to struggle with his sense of hearing.  Sometimes, he would repeat what we might have said to him and it was something not even close.  Then, he would just look at you and nod inappropriately, turn his head to one side when you were talking to him, and cup the back of his ear to "catch sound."  Naturally, we brought this up to his pediatrician, who did an in-office hearing screen.  He failed his left side four times.  Womp, womp.  So, yesterday, we went to the audiologist.  Initially, I was really nervous, full of guilt, and worried about our little guy.  Over the past two weeks leading up to the appointment, I started to feel better.  (It helps when your dad and best friend are both physicians.  I like to get my answers early.)  According to the tests yesterday, Patrick's nerves are great.  He can actually hear very well.  However, his inner ears are full of so much fluid that one eardrum has no movement at all.  The ENT doctor told us that it is like trying to hear through a mass of cotton balls.  Easy fix: six weeks of a steroid nasal spray and tubes if that doesn't help alleviate some of the fluid. Outstanding.  Relief.  Here he is in the soundproof booth, playing the hearing "games" with the audiologist:


3.) In one short week, our Hatch (-Baby-Angel-Face) will be eight months old.  In a word, joyful.  He's a joy to have around and emits an aura of joyfulness from his very core.  For that reason, when we had to choose a patron saint for him, we chose St. Philip Neri, patron saint of Joy.  He is a pleasure to have in our house.  We have learned that he is a little scrappy (probably a necessary trait, being relatively petite and the youngest of three boys), and does bite, but he's otherwise pretty great.  At seven months, he learned to unsteadily crawl, which has now evolved into a funny little breast-stroke "pop." He moves, though.  He has two teeth (very sharp little suckers who are especially unwelcome during the groggy 7am feeding), can sit up pretty well, and is starting to pull himself up.  His vocabulary now consists of three words: Dada, Mama, hi.  He gives a good, strong belly laugh and is very, very ticklish.  He thinks his brothers are hilarious, even when they are tormenting him, and he and Patrick seem to share a special little bond.  (Interesting, too, because their personalities seem to be fairly similar in the vocal/social/friendly aspects.)  He's growing well, though is a little tiny.  He has beautiful, straight, very shiny auburn hair, which I would guess will end up being very dark and most similar to my sister's hair.  He's precious.  (Naturally, all three of these boys are.  At least, I think so.)  Here is Hatch's funny little "crawl":



4.) The older boys have made it their summer mission to catch every bug/slug/creature in our backyard.  They occupy their days with the trampoline, water tables, hoses, and digging and scouring for bugs.  Patrick has deemed himself "The Slug Hunter," and, honestly, he can find slugs anywhere.  Leo is fearless and bare-hands any bugs (the biting/stinging ones and the hairiest of hairy included) and brings them inside to show me.  Ew.  Snips, snails, and puppy dog tails... They almost require daily baths now, and then the bathtub has to be scrubbed out at the end.  I have a feeling this will be a way of life for many, many years.  Here is Patrick with his first slug, who was later named "The Dead Guy" because, well, this is the last picture of him looking this good:


4.) I am a really good singer, and Leo has discovered a true appreciation for my hidden talent (I hope you can read the sarcasm there):


5.) This summer with boys is looking to be an excellent one.  I'm excited about all of stuff we will get to do together.  I have made a "Summer Bucket List," which was adapted from one I read in a magazine I picked up at the store last weekend, but we have successfully crossed a few off the list.  Here is a final pic of the boys with two of their best friends, ending a long, lazy Memorial Day with an attempted Movie Night/Slumber Party.  (Attempted because the serenity in this photo lasted roughly 90 seconds before this Slumber Party turned into a Daddy/Son Wrestle Fest).


1 comment:

  1. Ok I was laughing like crazy at Leo reacting to your singing. Sullivan does a similar thing. He just yells "NOOOOOOOOO mama NOOOOOO" whenever I try to sing him anything. There goes him thinking I'm queen of the world....

    ReplyDelete

Dad

October, 2019 Nearly seven weeks ago, my dad died.  Writing that seems as surreal as the actual experience.  And yet, here I sit, fatherless...