Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Cataract Falls

The Waldens did Cataract Falls.  Two things are important about this trip:

1.) Waterfalls are more like water-trickles when you are in the middle of a drought.
2.)  Some places are not located on a map. 

Our one-hour drive to the Falls included one extra hour of driving time because I.  Could.  Not.  Find.  My. Way.  Spoiled by modern technology, I assumed that I could just use my trusty navigation to reach my destination.  Oh, no.  I could not.  I relied on a very kind mailman in a rusted-out Taurus, one appearingly-toothless man on his front porch in a rocking chair (picture the area as the Ravenswood neighborhood if it were featured in the film Deliverance) and a young, shirtless kid kicking rocks down the gravel road.  I'm not even kidding.  I think I spent at least 10 continuous minutes muttering "Oh, hell.  Oh, hell.  Oh, hell.  Oh, hell."  But, several three-point-turns later, we made it.  And it was great.  And we will go back again when it's a little more lush outside.  (Also, Adam is getting a little hurt that we road-trip without him, so I have promised that we'll take him back this fall.  Assuming, of course, that it rains before then.  I can't say that it looks so promising right now.)

This pictures are absolutely not in order, but I suddenly have a headache and really don't want to mess with moving them around.  Bear with me.

The boys were most impressed that they could see water through the floor of the covered bridge. 

The inside of the bridge.  According to Patrick, "This house is really awesome, but it's a little run down."  Indeed.

So excited that they couldn't wait for their old mom and baby brother.

Picnics include bees.  Even Arby's picnics.

The bridge.  Don't you just want to have an intimate wedding inside?  Me, too.

The upper falls.


I am quite literally obsessed with this place.  Next time, I am reserving at least 45 minutes to peruse the floor-to-ceiling wooden shelves,( circa 1915, I swear.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dad

October, 2019 Nearly seven weeks ago, my dad died.  Writing that seems as surreal as the actual experience.  And yet, here I sit, fatherless...