Tuesday, August 21, 2012

A few weeks ago, I published a post about how I am failing at being Leo's mom (I'm still cringing), but, wouldn't you know it, little Leo proved me wrong.  May God bless that sweet, sweet boy.  (Always sweet.  Wild, yes, but also sweet.)

Be it the last tooth that did finally come through (yay!), or our new discipline tactics, simply growing older, or all of the above, but it seemed like Leo hit his worst immediately before he hit his best.  Thank God.  No, really.  We had several talks about this.  It looks like somebody didn't let me down. 

This isn't to say that Leo is that super laid-back, hippie kid I mentioned before.  He isn't.  He never will be.  Leo is intense, and his intensity is what makes him so special.  I also believe that it will make him exceptionally handsome one day, but that's a sidenote.  Lately, we've had so few tatrums, excellent listening habits, and an overall improvement in behavior.  And my Sweet Leo returns. 

This week, he let me rock him to sleep at least four times.  He requested it.  It's true that Leo does best with a lot of physical contact.  He is very affectionate, very loving, and very comforted by physical touch.  I can excel here.  I like all of that stuff, too.  Anyway, once while rocking him to sleep (for the second time that day), Leo looked up at me with his big cow eyes and said, "Mommy, we fiends."  (Translation:  Mommy, we are friends.)  I could have cried.  I think I smiled for an hour.  I'm not failing this boy.  I think we're learning from each other, and it is so worth it.  Leo is intense, but so long as we keep up what we're doing, my hope is that it serves him well one day.  He can call me from his private penthouse office and thank me.  This kid will go places.  I just know it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dad

October, 2019 Nearly seven weeks ago, my dad died.  Writing that seems as surreal as the actual experience.  And yet, here I sit, fatherless...