Monday, January 20, 2014

And Now I Cannot Put Her Down

Annemarie was baptized this past weekend, and while I know I have been absent for the last couple of weeks, I'll catch you up on that later.  For now, let's talk about this.

I look forward to our children's baptisms before they are even born.  For me, it's the best day of their lives (so far), and while I have planned for this day for a year, there are always the unexpected curve-balls--the weather, for example.  The weather!  Snow and slick roads and poor visibility...all a disastrous combination for an evening celebration for our lttle girl.  But people came.  Our family drove in from out of town (you know who you are), the house was packed and hectic and I was sweating from trying to keep it all controlled, but it was wonderful.  Annie, your cake was beautiful, the food was abundant, the house was loud and full of laughter of the people who came for you.  You won't remember the day, but we will.  It is so touching to be surrounded by the people we love...and who love us...and who so clearly love our children.  I'm still beside myself with appreciation (though the house is still not put back together.) 

And, still feeling so high on the love, I cannot seem to put Annie down.  She is so happy and so snuggly and so completely pure.  She's so loved.  Above all else, I want her to know that.  Based on the outpouring we have received so far, I don't think she'll ever have reason to doubt that.  Things go wrong and people go wrong and some days are bad, but none of that matters, sweet Annie, because you are loved.  You have a great big family of people who love you.  There is nothing, nothing in the entire world that is better than that. 

So, sleep, sweet girl, while I hold you and watch you dream pretty dreams.  Snuggle and feel safe and happy because life is good for you.  We'll make sure of it.  You deserve no less.

And, to anyone who may read this who came to celebrate with us, or who kept us in their thoughts or wished her good wishes, thank you.  Thank you for giving our sweet girl a good start.  Thanks for being there.  Thank you for loving us. There are no better people than you.   

Pictures to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dad

October, 2019 Nearly seven weeks ago, my dad died.  Writing that seems as surreal as the actual experience.  And yet, here I sit, fatherless...