Friday, March 20, 2009

Happy Birthday to Me

Today is MY birthday...29 and fabulous, right? Seriously, with a crappy few weeks behind me (it's all a long story and I don't feel the need for a virtual rehash), I've been cautiously optimistic for a happy and care-free birthday. It's only 11am, and I have success. Patrick and I had a great morning, Katie greeted me with flowers at work, Colleen showed up with cake, a gift, and coffee, and I've received more Facebook well-wishes than ever in my life. (Kelly even remembered, which is a huge deal). Things are good. I don't know why there is such an emphasis on having a good birthday, but it means the world to me. So, although nobody reads this, thank you from the bottom of my heart.

What's great is that Adam has not realized yet that today is my birthday. He has a special (surprise) day for me tomorrow, and I honestly think that he is under the impression that tomorrow is my birthday. I'm not going to tell him otherwise. We'll see how long it takes for him to figure it out. In our entire history, Adam has only remembered my birthday once without help and that was last year. Before then, I've been given gifts on July 4th and August something-or-other, as if he just pulled dates out of a hat and hoped they were close. One year, just a few short weeks after we had celebrated my birthday, he called me at work to ask me when my birthday was. His words were, "Look, I know that it's in June, so just tell me the date."

It's the first day of Spring, too, which makes me even more optimistic and happy. It has to be symbolic for good things to come, right? Isn't that what Spring is about? Here is to hoping...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dad

October, 2019 Nearly seven weeks ago, my dad died.  Writing that seems as surreal as the actual experience.  And yet, here I sit, fatherless...