Sunday, August 2, 2009

Cloth Diaper Initial Review

This weekend marked our first trial with cloth diapers. My initial review is this:

All-in-all, not to bad! True, I have to wash them every couple of days and urine really (REALLY) does smell like ammonia after it sits for that long, but it's not as bad as the general population, myself included, would think. The first poo diaper was a challenge, but it really wasn't hard: dump the solids, rinse out the diaper in the toilet, put it in the wet bag. Done.

My problem is this: what do I do with the wipes? If there is no disposable diaper with which I would wrap up the wipes and toss, where do I put my disposable wipes? My solution is this: I apparently need to buy cloth wipes. I've done a fair bit of research this morning and have come up with:
1.) a very cute and inexpensive supply of cloth wipes (thank you, etsy)
2.) several different "recipes" for spray-bottle solution to use along with the dry wipes.

There are also means of pre-wetting the wipes in a solution and carrying them around in a tupperware container or the like, but I like the spray-bottle solution better at this point. I may change my mind after we try that out.

I, like most other moms I know, use baby wipes for everything. They are a great clean-up solution to almost any mess and a fabulous stain remover (even wine on my wedding dress, after having sat for a year, came out with the assistance of baby wipes...or maybe that was Shout wipes. Now that I think about it, I can't remember.) For that reason, I don't think it a bad idea to have some regular wipes on hand. After all, I have a boy...and a very messy boy, at that. Any extra clean-up supplies are helpful.

(Sidenote: End-of-Summer diet going well. A few water weight pounds are gone. I cheated a little yesterday and finished Patrick delicious tamale from dinner. I'm back on track today, though, which will be hard, considering it's HT's birthday celebration. I can do it, though. Stay focused, stay focused.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dad

October, 2019 Nearly seven weeks ago, my dad died.  Writing that seems as surreal as the actual experience.  And yet, here I sit, fatherless...