Saturday, November 21, 2009

Baby No More

As of today, I consider Patrick fully-transitioned into his new room. I'm bursting with so much pride at the moment, that I could burst.

Our first attempt a few months ago didn't go too well. Patrick was terrified of the new room and cried hysterically when he was left in it alone. Thanks to some helpful suggestions from Adam's cousin, Jody, and my dad, we took apart the crib and reassembled it in his new room. Patrick began to sleep in his new room, but in the comfort of his familiar bed. This went on for about two weeks.

This past Tuesday, Patrick woke up suddenly and frantically and I went in to comfort him. While I had him up, I thought it was a good idea to lay down together in his "big boy" bed. Patrick put his head down and was out like a light. We left him there all night. He was so excited the next morning when he woke up. When I asked him how his big boy bed was, he said, "I like it!"

Wednesday was the same story, but Thursday was a little more rough, as he actually started the night in the bed. He fussed a little, but less than 5 minutes later, he was quiet and sleeping soundly. Today, we tried naps. His first nap was perfect. He fussed for less than two minutes, never left his bed and fell asleep. Since then, he's been so excited about his new room. He's done some personal re-arranging (naturally; he is his father's son), and keeps insisting that it's "night-night time" and that we should go "put heads down." Right now, as I sit here, he is playing quietly in his room with his dinosaurs and his books and has not even asked to come out.

I don't know where my baby went and I miss him, but I love this new little boy so very much that I almost can't stand it today. Adam is having a little bit of baby mourning, but he's as proud as I am, I think. His first reaction to moving Patrick over was, "He's not ready, Catie. I don't think he's ready." Of course, he was ready...Adam was just worried about him in a room with access to outlets (covered), a bookshelf (bolted to the wall), and small, swallowable toys (he doesn't put things in his mouth.) But, Patrick is fine. He's safe. We're happy to report that he's learning to love this new change.

Pictures to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dad

October, 2019 Nearly seven weeks ago, my dad died.  Writing that seems as surreal as the actual experience.  And yet, here I sit, fatherless...