Wednesday, November 11, 2009

I think there is something to be said about the tiny moments we experience as parents. Of course, there are the big things, the first tooth, the first words and the first steps, but the little things, the sweet tiny moments that we get all to ourselves are my favorite parts of being a mother. These are the moments of which there are no pictures, the ones that are stored forever in the little pocket in my brain, my favorite memories, my feel-good moments.


I was thinking about this last night as I was awoken by Patrick, who was (for the second night in a row) sleeping with us. Things have been a little tense and stressful lately for both Adam and I (for differing reasons) this week, and we needed some QT with the little guy. Two nights in a row, he woke up to realize that he was being snuggled by his mother. Two nights ago, he grabbed my head with both hands and pulled me in for a "good hug" and said out loud, "This is MY Mama." Last night, I could feel him get restless and woke up right before he did. I was looking at him when he opened his eyes, and he smiled. He said, "Come see me, Mama," and gave me a kiss and a hug. It's amazing how those little moments can change the way the whole world looks. Perhaps that's what I need to get through the rocky parts, the ones that I wish I could just sleep through. I need a little toddler, some precious quality time, and a little lovin.' Pure heaven.

Those moments also seem to make up for the ones when you're mortified in public, about to explode with a tantrumming toddler. I've experienced one or two of those lately, too. We're a few months away from 2 still, but Patrick sometimes thinks that he's already there with his "stop it's" and "don'ts." Sometimes it's hard not to laugh. Other times, it's hard not to want to smack his little mouth (seriously, that sounds bad, but it's the truth.) It doesn't matter. It's the little sweet moments, the kisses out of nowhere, the "I like you, Mama" for no reason that makes things good...worth it.

1 comment:

  1. I loved this blog! I felt like you took my thoughts and my heart and put them into words. :) I am so excited for Noah say little phrases to me like that. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Dad

October, 2019 Nearly seven weeks ago, my dad died.  Writing that seems as surreal as the actual experience.  And yet, here I sit, fatherless...