Thursday, November 5, 2009

I had a little bit of time...

I had a little bit of time today, so I thought I would update. As it stands, I am still in process of gathering all of the info/records/supplies that I need to start my nursing program in January, and I am very, very far away from having everything done, but it feels good to start. I like to be working toward something, to be working ON something. Projects are good for me. I like this one.

The more and more I think about going back to school full-time, the more excited I get. It's true that I won't have too much family time. It's true that we're going to be beyond busy and stretched financially, but in the end.....oh, the end! In the end, I'll have a job that I want. A job that makes me happy, with many fields from which to choose. (Note: My current job makes me happy, it is a job that I love...it's just not conducive to the family life that I want long-term. The people that I work with are amazing, which makes me very sad to be leaving, but also very happy and optimistic to have such support.)

So, the first semester ends on May 7, 2010. Baby Walden II is due to arrive around May 9, 2010. The two dates being so close together is funny to me. I am bound and determined to keep this baby in here until after my last final. Then, it's game time. I'll have three weeks to recover and then it's back to school for the summer. Thank goodness for a very helpful family who had stepped up to the plate to help.

As of today, I am just a couple days shy of 14 weeks. Baby Walden II is about 3.4 inches long and likely weighs close to 1.5 ounces. He/she is growing more proportionally. His/her length is catching up with the slightly larger head. The ears have started their move to the sides of the head, and the eyes continue to get closer and closer together. The baby's neck will soon elongate, and the chin will start to rise up off the chest. His/her reflexes will also continue to develop this week. Here is a cross-section (obviously, not mine) of a baby at 14 weeks in utero:

I'm still showing a little. Not too much more than I was when I was 14 weeks along with Patrick, but surely a little more, at least. I've been completely turned off by coffee, which, as it turns out, now makes me feel ill. Most days, I feel pretty good and some days still seem kind of crappy. Overall, I can't complain. Patrick told me again last night that the baby is nice and that the baby's name is Ruby. I guess we'll see. My dad was able to swipe a Doppler machine from his old clinic (on loan), so we're able to listen to the heartbeat whenever we want. It's extremely easy to find now, though the baby moves constantly, so we end up chasing it around with the little "microphone." So far, though, the heart rate has been nothing but healthy, in the 160-170 range, and very clear and strong. I get a little tingle every time I hear it. I probably always will. I still get that way when I hear Patrick's little heart beating.

Every day, something new.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dad

October, 2019 Nearly seven weeks ago, my dad died.  Writing that seems as surreal as the actual experience.  And yet, here I sit, fatherless...