Thursday, April 29, 2010

2 Finals Down

Two finals down and one to go. One more clinical day (for sure). There is the end of my first semester of nursing school. It's only been a few months, but it's been eye-opening, at the least. I really do enjoy it. Once terribly scared of needles, I drew blood today, AND allowed myself to get stuck...twice. Oddly, I liked it. I kind of looked forward to it. The same went for my first injection a few weeks ago. It was strangely fun to do. I got a little rush. Maybe it's knowing how far I've come or the self-satisfaction of doing something I swore with all of my heart that I would never be able to do, but I am very proud. Very. Really...I feel like a kid again.

My due date is approaching and I have a confused little baby. Once in a comfy head-down position, it decided sometime between Friday and Monday to flip, completely unbeknownst to me. How I managed to miss that, I will never know. I was shocked. I went to the hospital on Monday for a version procedure, which was easily the most unpleasant thing I have ever experienced. Ever. And that includes childbirth. Read that again: I would rather have a whole child physically removed from my body than have someone try to manipulate it from the outside to make it turn. It doesn't sound too bad, and maybe it isn't always. I know, however, that having it described to me as "an uncomfortable procedure" was much like saying that a decapitation would cause a bit of a mess. A total lie. There are my two cents. (NOTE: The version did not work. The baby's head would move a little, but it's butt, nestled securely in my pelvis, was not going anywhere. I ended up bruised and very sore for nothing. It was worth the effort, though.)

I survived, though, and the baby is fine; a little pissed off that day, but fine otherwise. Frankly, I'd be pissed, too, if I was getting shoved around in the dark by some mysterious force. Let's hope we didn't scar it for life. If this one has an innate fear of the dark, we're going to know why.

My professors have been absolutely wonderful in helping me get my finals out of the way in preparation for a potential C-section next week. I couldn't ask for more. What seemed initially like a no-budge exam policy has been tweaked slightly to allow me to continue in the program without much of a hang-up. I will forever be grateful, and I mean that.

The countdown is on. We're ready. Ok, no, we're not. But we will be. Eventually.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dad

October, 2019 Nearly seven weeks ago, my dad died.  Writing that seems as surreal as the actual experience.  And yet, here I sit, fatherless...