Monday, April 19, 2010

37 Week Appt

My appointment today, a Monday ritual, it seems, went fabulously. Despite the fact that I have now gained 27 pounds, there is a good chance that that should be it. At least I hope so. Good Lord. I hate this part. I know that sounds so silly and vain, but it's hard to watch the scale continuously move up. It's not fun. Otherwise, things are moving along, albeit slowly, but that's kind of what we need. I am about 60% effaced and 1 cm dilated, which was a bit of a surprise. With Patrick, I did not progress at all until I was in full-on active labor, and I just kind of expected the same this time around. Granted, 1 cm is not much, but the effacement progress is a little exciting. The baby is low, low, low, it feels.

I saw my sister's doctor today, a member of the same practice. Both of my usual MD's were out of the office, and it was nice to finally meet him. What's great is that he thought I was my sister, who he saw just a couple of months ago. He seemed so confused to walk into the exam room and see a pregnant "Colleen." His reaction? "WHOA! What happened to you?!" A little explanation from me and embarrassment from him, but he figured it out.

I looked at the calendar today and realized how close the 9th is. I just hope that I can get through what I need to before the baby is born and enjoy the next few weeks off. I'm still toying a little with the idea of taking the summer off, but I will see how I'm feeling toward the end of May and what the baby's temperament is. I have an inkling that this one is a little more laid back than his/her brother, but I could be wrong. The difference between a July graduation date and a September graduation date really isn't much, so a part of me will be inclined to just take the extra time off. Then again, I have this tendency to want things NOW, and getting this whole program over with is no exception. I have absolutely no idea which side of me will win, and I'm not making the call until the very last minute. For now, I am trying to just focus on what I need to in order to pull off this semester. Fingers crossed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dad

October, 2019 Nearly seven weeks ago, my dad died.  Writing that seems as surreal as the actual experience.  And yet, here I sit, fatherless...