Monday, May 10, 2010

Finally, I feel like I have a moment to update, though I quite literally have a sleeping baby in my lap and a wound-up toddler scaling my back, trying to get to the sleeping baby. I'm a lactating jungle gym, I feel.

Yesterday was Leo's due date and Mother's Day. I can't help but to continue to feel amazingly blessed. As we settle into a daily routine, Patrick continues to be wonderful with his brother, though he is still super-sensitive and very clingy. We sat down and had breakfast together this morning, and he insisted that I carry him everywhere (I didn't) or that he sit on my lap. He has been really good about the adjustment, however. He's sweet and loving to Leo, and compliments him all day long on being so cute and "sweep" himself.

Leo is now ten days old and the calmest, sweetest baby. He made the most noise he ever had yesterday with a house full of people, but overall he's still pretty quiet. He likes to be held close, whether he's awake or sleeping. I know I shouldn't do it, but I just can't help it. I was never this softy-softy with Patrick. Maybe now I just understand how quickly this time goes. It was over with Patrick before we even had a chance to soak it in. Then again, Patrick was born a tiny adult and didn't really stay a "baby" for very long. Since conception, he's done things the Patrick way. He's odd and wonderful like that.

Recovery is going well. I am still sore from time to time, but I feel remarkably active. Life with two seems to be easier than life with one. It sounds strange, but so far, that's the case. I stepped on the scale yesterday, just like I swore to myself that I wouldn't. I had ten pounds to go. I stepped on the scale again today, and now I have nine pounds to go. I'm really hoping that it just continues to come off, though I promised myself that I wouldn't get bent out of shape about it. It'll be a conscious effort.

Here are some pics from the delivery room and immediately after. You can see that Adam was pretty beat. He got to sleep for a few hours before we started pushing, so he literally had just woken up when the first picture was snapped. (I look awake, but I was running on adrenaline. The all-nighter hit me very hard later on that day.)

**NOTE: The aforementioned wound-up toddler just shoved a pretzel goldfish in one of the USB ports of the laptop on which I am working, crushing it inside the computer, without me even noticing. That's what I get for trying to tune him out.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Dad

October, 2019 Nearly seven weeks ago, my dad died.  Writing that seems as surreal as the actual experience.  And yet, here I sit, fatherless...