Monday, May 17, 2010

Life With Two

I am amazed and pleasantly surprised how flawless Leo's short time home has been. I was given plenty of warning from other mothers about the adjustment from one child to two. Certainly, there is a bit of an adjustment. I have to carve time out of the day for quality one-on-one time with Patrick. I have to make time for quiet alone time with Leo. Adam and I need time to ourselves and time as a family. Overall, it's a lot of time. That being said, it's not hard at all. I am really, really enjoying this time at home. Leo is such a perfect addition to this family that the "adjustment" has felt very little like one.

I cross my fingers that it stays, but Leo has been sleeping a six-hour stretch every night for the past week. When he gets up at night, he eats and is right back down. I don't feel like I am sleep-deprived. I have time for groceries, cleaning, and everyday life stuff, very much unlike the first few weeks at home with Patrick. With the first, the change in lifestyle hit us so suddenly and blindly. We knew what to expect, but not at all what it would actually be like. It didn't take long to get into a routine, but we didn't really have much of a choice. Patrick needed it and we had to figure out how to make it work. Perhaps Patrick's need for order and a schedule has really helped us out with his little brother. We know how to organize our time with the kids. It's working out fabulously.

Leo's first trip to the doctor was on Thursday. He was back up to his birth weight and had grown in length a 1/2 an inch. He's a LONG little guy. No wonder he felt so low. Patrick was very concerned with the doctor touching his little brother. He asked her name and that she please not touch his little brother. He also reminded her that he was not her Leo. He asked her not to touch his ears please. She took him very seriously and let him sit up on the examination bed with Leo so that he could watch everything that she was doing. While he was visibly still very uneasy, that helped Patrick to warm up to the doctor touching his brother.

Shortly after, Patrick learned that his beloved Grandad was a doctor. I can't believe I never told him. According to my mom, Patrick and my dad spent a significant amount of time going through his black bag (he really does have one) and looking at all of his doctor tools. I bet the next trip to the doctor for Leo is going to go completely differently.

I don't want these boys to grow up. Is that a horrible thing to say? I love their ages and I just want to freeze time. I think taking this summer off is the best decision that I have made in a while. I'm happy that I get to enjoy this time. At this point, I wouldn't trade it for anything, ANYTHING, and I don't really see that changing. My life with all of these boys is heaven. I told Adam we could add another boy if he wanted, but he told me to slow my roll. Point taken.

That being said, it's now 3:30 in the afternoon and I haven't showered. So...even though I have time for the "life stuff" doesn't mean that it always gets done. I should probably hop on it before the kids get up from their naps. God bless naptimes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dad

October, 2019 Nearly seven weeks ago, my dad died.  Writing that seems as surreal as the actual experience.  And yet, here I sit, fatherless...