Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Just recently, I've started thinking about where I wanted to be as an adult (when I was an early teen) and where I am now, at 30.  It has a little to do with the subject matter of classes recently, as well as an overwhelming feeling that things in my life are unfolding as they should, despite some conspicuous and mildly painful bumps along the way (by "painful," I mean I am surprised sometimes that there is no blood shed.)  Here is a layout of where I stand:

What I Dreamed 30 Would Be Like
                  
Marital Status:         Single
                                       
Profession:              Doctor
                                     
Children:                 4 boys, adopted, Asian
              
House:                    Large, white, a lot of glass
                 
Pets:                       2 large tan dogs 
                               
Automobile:            Shiny black SUV
                   
Interests:                 Fancy entertaining
                      

What 30 Is

Marital Status:          Married

Profession:               Studying to be a nurse

Children:                  2 boys, biological, Caucasian

House:                     Small, red (brick), medium amount of glass

Pets:                        One small white dog (with tan spots)

Automobile:             Only sometimes-shiny navy sedan

Interests:                  Entertaining (not fancy), kids, healthy eating

As a whole, I was way off.  I have boys, a car that is sometimes shiny, a dog with a couple of tan patches, may eventually work in the healthcare field, and I like to have parties, but those are the only similarities.  I'm not as skinny as I pictured myself back then (I'm working on it),  my hair isn't long, I don't jog for miles with a perfect ponytail and don't break a sweat (no, really, I though I would do that.)  The life I wanted was very slick and fancy, but the one I have is happy.  Sometimes, it's a little messy and smelly (I have a kid in a dirty diaper currently on my lap), and may cause a breakdown here and there (both me and the kids), but it's good.  As one child is sleeping soundly on my lap this very minute, the other one is snuggled up behind me with his head on my back and certainly his thumb in his mouth.  You can't buy this kind of affection.  I may still appreciate a little "slick and fancy" if it comes my way, though.   I am certainly not opposed.

PS- It looks like my graduation date has been moved up!  I'll at least be a little closer to slick and fancy come July!  Ok, fine, I probably won't, but at least I'll have a little more time to deal with the messy and smelly.  :)    The countdown is on.  Eight months and counting...                                                           

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dad

October, 2019 Nearly seven weeks ago, my dad died.  Writing that seems as surreal as the actual experience.  And yet, here I sit, fatherless...