Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Winter Outings, Day 2

Once again, we were out and about this morning in an attempt to really take advantage of this last week of break.  First on the agenda, breakfast with my sister.  Sadly for her, breakfast with me does not always mean leisurely conversation.  (Well, it can, but it also means stopping every few minutes/seconds for a "stop that," what do you need?" "you need to take a bite, please," or "Ok, give me just a second.")  Thank goodness she's a good sport about it. 

After that came a visit to Titi (my sister-in-law, Katie) and last stop: The Children's Museum.  While we went with the intention of just riding the carousel and leaving, Patrick got really nervous about the horses again and insisted that he only rides that with Daddy.  (He had tears in his eyes.  I'm pretty sure he meant it.)  As not wanting to waste a trip, we hit up the house of mirrors.  And then the village of houses.  And then Scienceworks.  Playscape.  Barbie.  Playscape again.  Racecar.  Watch the slide.  Dinosaurs.  Whew.  It was so much fun, though.  We really need to renew our membership next month.  Leo is so content in his little sling and Patrick makes friends anywhere.  I actually made a friend, too, which was kind of nice.  Well, it was really nice.  I love normal moms.  Wow, that sounds bad.  Fine, I admit it, I like moms like me.  Shoot me.   

As we left, I took another sentimental detour, right past the Allison Mansion, where our wedding reception was held.  I caught my breath as we pulled in.  Wow.  It's been exactly five years since we chose that place for our reception (before I ever got the ring, actually.)  I remember the excitement of it all; how happy I was to be getting married.  Adam gripping my hand in the marble sunroom.  "This is it, this is it.  This is it."  As I turned to look in the backseat at my two sleeping sons...well...there aren't words, really.  If I was happy then, I don't know what to call myself now.  Blessed is the closest I can come to anything, and that barely touches it. 

Both boys are sleeping soundly, neither one even woke up from the car-to-bed transfer.  Two days of successful outings.  Just a few more days left.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dad

October, 2019 Nearly seven weeks ago, my dad died.  Writing that seems as surreal as the actual experience.  And yet, here I sit, fatherless...