Monday, March 7, 2011

Welcome Home, Adam

Adam Walden came back to us last night.  That's awfully dramatic, isn't it?  Well, that's how it felt...like a dramatic welcome home.  This house is so empty when he's gone.  Even though I complain that he works too much and that I really don't feel like I get to see him, I learned that even when we have to resort to sitting in the same room doing our respective work is better than nothing.  We're happy to have him back. 

Patrick, who missed Adam terribly, kept himself up until midnight last night in order to see his daddy.  The two sets of eyes simultaneously lighting up at the sight of one another tugged at the heart-strings.  (I didn't get that reaction, but I hold no grudges.)  Leo, who was supplemented soy milk instead of formula last night woke up with an empty belly at 4am.  He, too, lit up when he saw Adam.  By the reactionary expression on Adam's face, it seems as though he missed us as much as we missed him.

Today, we decided to make it a family date.  First stop?  Good Morning Mama's for breakfast burritos, pigs in blankets, and the best pancetta omelette I have ever had in my life.  If I could have had the coffee, I would have stayed there all day.  However, we were by the door, I was freezing cold (ice water makes me shiver) and we didn't stick around too long.  Long enough, however, for Patrick to introduce Robosapien (a smallish white robot toy) to every person within a 10 foot radius.

We tried to capture our fun outing on our iPhone cameras...and the kids were much less excited about it than we were. (This was all after Adam's 10am basketball game.)



Second stop?  Locally Grown Gardens for a quick look around. 

I love to smell the fire they have burning out front and check out all of the produce...even the winter variety.  I stopped short when I saw pies.  Homemade...from scratch...pies.  The apple one was calling my name (well, that and every pear and berry known to man the last few days).  Sadly, the Sugar Cream one was what Adam wanted.  Knowing that I would kill that apple pie in a day if given the oppotunity, I thought the sugar cream was a good choice. Ooh, and some honey from Danville.  And, as a bonus, the owner threw in a complimentary reggae CD.  True story.  Also a true story?  I really like it.

Here is the pie:


Doesn't look like much, right?

Oh, but it is.  It tastes like...well...sugar cream.  And the crust...the buttery, this-I-could-eat-on-its-own crust?  Get out of town.  It also tastes like it was made in a wood-burning oven, but I can't be certain.  Maybe the campfire smoke from out front seeped into the cream.  Either way, delicious. 

We spent the afternoon doing homework and work-work, catching up on Jersey Shore, looking at potential homes (for our unlikely move in a year), and chatting.  We wore sweatpants.  It was lovely.  See?


Adam took a lot of time to entertain the boys while I took a minimum of 45 minutes to perfect a thank you card to a potential employer.  No joke.  Hand-writing letters is a lost art.  I know.  I lost it. 

He leaves again in 6 days.  Again, I know I am being dramatic about it, but it is hard sometimes.  This time went unbelievably smoothly, but I am becoming increasingly more organized (as I have been forced into it.)  However, I have learned to like the organization and it does make life easier.  Not easy enough that we can manage without Adam, but short stints of time are ok.  We'll handle it.

NOTE: The date on this should read 3.6.11. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dad

October, 2019 Nearly seven weeks ago, my dad died.  Writing that seems as surreal as the actual experience.  And yet, here I sit, fatherless...