Saturday, July 9, 2011

Good Food and Drano

I had my 26 week visit this week with sweet Dr. F, my OB.  At that visit (which included no more than the standard weight, measure, listen-to-baby), he suggested that I try the old Drano test to determine the sex of the baby.  What's that?  A home experiment?  I love those things.  And old wive's tales.  I like to test them all.  Here is how the Drano test works:

-1 part first morning's urine
-1 part Drano Crystals
-1 glass that you don't mind throwing away (the reaction kind of boils up, fumes, and smokes.)  Therefore, you also need:
-A backyard or other open space

It's reported that, when the urine and Drano are mixed together, the color of the chemical reaction can determine the sex of your baby.  I think it sounds similar to the Red Cabbage test (which I also did, but had two different results), though this one requires that you be at least past the 4th month of pregnancy and the RC test asks that you do it before the 10th week.  What the difference is, I don't know. 

The results of the Drano test are to be interpreted as such (as reported by Dr. F and a classmate of mine familiar with said experiment.)

*Yellow/Murky Brown=boy
*Blue/Green/Black=girl

So, the Drano says......



GIRL!
Naturally, this result meant that we went out first thing this morning and bought a whole lot of pink!  (No, really, I'm kidding!)  I still think it's a boy, but now we can either keep or rule out this fun little test as complete BS or keep it around as somewhat valid.  Review to come in October.

What we did do first thing this morning instead of baby shopping was head to the Broad Ripple Farmer's Market to check out some great food and produce!  Highlights include running into a former patient of mine, which resulted in a free Lemon Shake-Up, seeing several friends, which ultimately resulted in an assortment of free salads (delicious--thanks, DT!), and a few other odds and ends.  I am stuffed to the gills (meaning I would be...if I had gills), but it was a pretty decent day for Patrick and me.  A little date, if you will.  If Patrick hadn't been in a truly terrible mood, it would have been better, but once we got home and got the little baby pool going, his mood improved.  Check it out:


He learned how to wink, but insisted on getting really close so I could see it:


 Most likely wondering what's taking Daddy so long to fill up the pool:


 Giving me his new phrase, "Ohhhh, snap!"




1 comment:

  1. what a fun test! i will have to pass that on. i am going to try to follow your rss feed now that i am a real blogger and all (wink)and then i won't have to stalk your facebook page to find your link ;)
    hope you are feeling well! and congrats on the "girl"--- I am hoping for you- I didn't realize how much I needed one until she got here!

    ReplyDelete

Dad

October, 2019 Nearly seven weeks ago, my dad died.  Writing that seems as surreal as the actual experience.  And yet, here I sit, fatherless...