Tuesday, August 9, 2011

What Now?

This is my first real week with nothing to do...and I am painfully bored.  Sort of.  What now?  I've finished school, left and returned from the Annual Walden Family Vacation (pictures to come), registered for the NCLEX and state licensure (about a week later than everyone else), interviewed for a fantastic job, enrolled our tiny Patrick in preschool, and got a very dark but much-loved spray tan.  Again, what now? 

First on my list: find my car keys.  I lost them last Friday, after returning from getting my make-up done at M.A.C. (probably my new favorite place.)  Either I threw them out as a result of pregnancy brain or the kids have hidden them someplace I just cannot seem to fathom.  Either way, Adam likes to remind me that it's a rather costly mistake I have made if we cannot find them.  I know, I know.  Damn this brain and its forgetfulness.

Things have been excellent here, though.  Life is good for us.  It just seems to have hit a lull.  An exceptionally quiet one.  I made a nice dinner last night (honey dijon salmon, grilled asparagus, and steamed rice).  I did some laundry.  I watched a movie.  I ran a lot of errands.  I never shook the feeling of restlessness.  I wonder when I will.  Adam is happy to have me around and accessible. So are the kids. 

I'm at such a lull that I really don't know how much I have to say.  Here are things in a nutshell.

1.) I am approaching 31 weeks of pregnancy.  Things are fine.  My back hurts from time to time and the heartburn has eased a little bit.  I don't feel as though I have grown much the last 8 weeks or so, but so goes it.  That being said, based on the amount of movement I feel and the distinctive baby parts that jut out from time to time (knees and elbows), I would guess that little Walden is just fine.

2.) Patrick is super-ready to go to school.  We went and saw his new classroom yesterday.  He begged me to leave him there overnight and come and get him in the morning.  I'm as proud as I am saddened that he is so ready to fly the coop.  However, I was equally impressed with the community at his new school.  Just getting out of the car, I was struck up in conversation with several parents who were helping to get the school ready for the new year.The school secretary actually shed a tear when she realized who Patrick's father was, and again when she found out who my sister was.  Apparently, this little boy will be well-received.  Thank goodness for Colleen and Adam's good reputations.  I pray that Patrick won't let them down.  (I'm kidding, honey.  Kind of.  I just hope that mouth of yours doesn't get you into trouble.)
 
3.) I'm starting to get a little bittersweet feeling about the prospect of putting the house up on the market this year.  Truthfully, we've outgrown it, but I'm starting to think about all of our memories here.  From our (second) first kiss in the kitchen to Patrick's first steps to Leo's homecoming...it's a little strange to think about a home that's been a part of so many memories.  Then again, unless we're interested in living on top of each other, it's time to move forward.  Adam requires a basement and hopes for a pool.  We'll see what we can do.  I'll just be happy with an extra bedroom.

4.) I hate that I'm not working again, but am trying to enjoy a little free time.  My very first interview went really well and I believe that I'll have another this week.  Though no offers can be made until I actually pass my boards, I have reason to believe that I'll have a job to start after this little one joins our family.  That's the best that I can hope for and, truthfully, I'll be thrilled with a paycheck in time for Christmas. 

That's about it.  Not the best post, but it's what I've got.  I just got a reminder phone call to look for my keys.  Sigh.  Fine. Curses.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dad

October, 2019 Nearly seven weeks ago, my dad died.  Writing that seems as surreal as the actual experience.  And yet, here I sit, fatherless...