Monday, February 6, 2012

A couple of weeks ago, I posted about a truly awful day that I had.  I really questioned whether or not to post about it (not that it really matters in the big picture, but honesty is sometimes painful), but the response I got was heart-warming.  From emails, to offers to babysit, to comments on the blog, and even to a bottle of champagne and cupcakes at my front door...thank you to everyone.  I know good people, apparently. 

At the end of that post, I had written that life goes on.  I had meant to continue that a little sooner, but I am just now finding myself with a little bit of time.  So here it is:

All day long, I feel like I'm trying to teach you kiddos something.  Generally, it's to not hit (something we're dealing with recently) or to not be wasteful or to be polite and use manners.  Our lessons are pretty basic, but necessary.  I know I will eventually get the opportunity to move on to more advanced life lessons, but just in case I don't, there are two very important things that I want you boys to know; the two things that most wish I would have known when I was younger.  Two little secrets to life's sometimes elusive contentment:

1.)  Learn early to celebrate the successes of the people you love.  Simple, right?  But it's not always.  When you're young and you are the center of your own universe, it's easy to fall into the envy trap.  Try not to.  When you grow up a little, you start to find that there is a lot of happiness to be found in feeling real joy for other people.  Try to put yourself in their shoes.  Practice empathy.  The people you love will appreciate this just as much as you would appreciate the same.  In the end, you'll find that, when the people you love are happy, you are, too.  Trust me.

2.) Life goes on.  It really does.  Sometimes, it's hard to see that figurative light at the end of the tunnel, but it's there.  When your walls seem to be crashing in around you, life is not going to end.  Eventually, you have to get up and face the world again.  And then, whatever seemed so bad is behind you.  It's history.  Maybe not forgotten, but days keep coming and going, whether or not you want them to.  Don't get too caught up in unnecessary worry.  All things work out in the end.  If they're not worked out, it's not the end.  That's a promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dad

October, 2019 Nearly seven weeks ago, my dad died.  Writing that seems as surreal as the actual experience.  And yet, here I sit, fatherless...