Sunday, September 30, 2012

Patrick in Poetry

Several weeks ago, Patrick and I had a long conversation about how he felt about his dad traveling for work so much. (At the time, he seemed to be having a rough time with it.) As he told me what he was feeling, it suddenly dawned on me that I could write a little limerick about all of the things that were coming out of his cute little mouth. So I did. And then I forgot about it. (Insert sad face.) But then I found it tonight! (Insert happy face.) So here it is: (Insert poem.)

My Family
By Patrick and Catherine Walden

My name is Patrick and I come from a bunch
Of people who love each other so very much.
My mom is a nurse and she makes us feel better
When we fall and get hurt or feel under the weather.
My Daddy is awesome almost all of the time,
And can build giant monsters with these Legos of mine.

I've got only brothers and that is so cool!
I'm the oldest and the only one who can go to school.
Leo is two and he's tougher than tough,
But doesn't know yet when enough is enough.
Hatchie's our baby, and he's so very sweet
But scrappy, we call him, when he bites at our feet.

Our home is so happy, we laugh quite a bit.
We even wrestle a lot, until Mom says to quit.
And Daddy, he travels and he's gone all the time.
I don't understand it, I don't think it's fine.
But we talk on the phone and get to sleep in his bed.
(He likes to wish us goodnight and Mom's lonely, she said.)

So I'm the man of the house and I'm really quite brave!
When I'm in charge, we know the whole house is safe.
And when Daddy comes home, he's still braver than me,
(I like the break, shhh-- I scare easily.)
But when I'm big like my Dad, I'll be the bravest there is,
Because I got lots of good practice when I was a kid.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dad

October, 2019 Nearly seven weeks ago, my dad died.  Writing that seems as surreal as the actual experience.  And yet, here I sit, fatherless...