Saturday, December 29, 2012

Affection

If there is one thing this family does well, it's showing all members how much they are loved.  We know affection.  We practice affection.  We are affection aficionados.

We kiss, we hug, we're all really good snugglers, we have family slumber parties, we say "I love you" at least 100 times a day.  This is a house of five lovers, for sure, which really comes in handy when one member of the family is down and out.

Today, as I lay here on the couch for the second day in a row, suffering from what I have termed the Plague of 2012, I am more appreciative than ever for the affection I receive from these boys.  As I type this, Leo is laying next to me, snoring the afternoon away, because it stresses him out to be far from me while I don't feel well.  (This will probably lead to Leo's own Plague of 2013.) 

Last night, as I was struggling to break my fever, I was half asleep on the couch.  I would periodically feel Patrick's tiny hands sweep the hair out of my face or his tiny body lay down against me.  Once, when I assume my fever had spiked again, I heard him say, "Oh, no, she's really hot.  Dad!  Come see Mom.  She is really hot again." 

Adam has been supplying endless Sprite Zeros and making me tea on demand.  He has been up at 6:30 with the baby and has bathed/fed/cared for the boys on his own.  He's let me have full reign of the remote control.  Hatch periodically walks over to me and kisses my cheek and lays his head down on my shoulder.  I may feel like @#$&, but I do feel so loved. 

The house is so quiet, the snow outside the window is absolutely beautiful, I have a precious little boy sleeping soundly next to me while I spend the day in my pajamas.  Save for the nasty fever and overall illness, this would be a really great day.  Thanks, boys, for turning something bad into something good and memorable. 



 

1 comment:

  1. What a bunch of sweethearts! When I was sick a few weeks ago, Sullivan took the opportunity to drive his cars all over my back as a new highway. A snuggler, he is not. Hope you feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete

Dad

October, 2019 Nearly seven weeks ago, my dad died.  Writing that seems as surreal as the actual experience.  And yet, here I sit, fatherless...