Tuesday, February 4, 2014

I Believe

I found this post in my "Drafts" folder on 2/4/14.  I have little recollection writing it, have no clue when I did, but felt like it should be published anyway. 

Adam and I were talking last night about how we have an innate sense of faith; that we sometimes just know things, mostly because we rest our faith in them. 

I believe that one day, you boys will come home from college, walk in through the garage with your bags (and probably your girlfriends) and hug me so hard that you will pick me up (and I think about this all of the time.). 

I believe that you will one day sit around the kitchen table and tease me for how ridiculous I am, just like we did (or do) to my own mother.  (Sorry, Mom.)

I believe that we are probably going to have our rough patches. (I'm looking at you, William.)  I also believe that you all were born with good hearts and good senses and we will get through them if you remember that.

I believe that having you kids was the best thing that your Dad and I have ever done.  Even when you drive me crazy, I love you more than you will probably ever know.

I believe that your Dad and I worked as hard as we could as often as we could to make sure life at home was happy. 

I believe that our little family has been blessed since the beginning and that there really are people looking out for us (and I believe I know who they are).

I believe that people are inherently good.  I hope that you'll believe that, too.

I believe that I have made some mistakes, none that I am especially proud of, but some of those mistakes are the reason we're all here together now.  I believe that we're all part of a much grander plan than we realize.

I believe in God.

I believe in our family.

I believe in each one of you kids, in all of your unique and special gifts, in all of your abilities to change the world, and...

I believe that one day, in small ways or in big ways, you will.

I believe that there are no people in this entire universe who can make me as happy as you all do.  I believe that we're going to have lots of happy holidays together.  I believe that we'll welcome in the neighborhood.

I believe that I'll eventually be the shortest person in the house.

I believe I will love you all with my whole heart for my whole life until there just isn't any love left at all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dad

October, 2019 Nearly seven weeks ago, my dad died.  Writing that seems as surreal as the actual experience.  And yet, here I sit, fatherless...