Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Hannah Catherine

Hannah Catherine Groves made her appearance on May 19th, 2014 at 1742, or 5:42pm.  

She is magical.

Here is how it went down:

I was quite literally driving myself crazy in the waiting room.  Every breath I took was a prayer for "the baby." Please, God, make the delivery easy.  Please be good to Colleen.  Please be with Justin.  Please help the baby transition.  Make her ("it," at that time) breathe.  Please, please, please.

And then it was time for the thank-yous.

Justin came walking slowly down the hallway.  If you know Justin, you know how big his smile is, and this was the biggest it has ever been.  His eyes were sparkling.  We hugged hard  as he said, "It was so awesome.  Come on back."

The walk down the hallways was a mile long.  By that, I mean about 35 feet.  But it felt all of a mile, and then there was Colleen, dazed, smiling...with a baby in her arms--a beautiful baby with a head full of fuzzy strawberry hair and a teeny nose and a pretty little heart-shaped mouth.  "I'm a girl baby," Colleen said softly, "my name is Hannah.  Hannah Catherine." My heart exploded.

Have you ever seen a perfect baby? Of course you have.  They are all perfect.  Each one of them.  Including this one:


Welcome to the world, sweetest Hannah.  We have been waiting so long for you! I have so many things to tell you, to show
you, to laugh with you about, but all in good time.  For now, we'll all love you and love your parents and watch as they make you a great, hopeful, beautiful life.  Happy Birthday, little girl.  The world is so happy to have you! 

(PS-I'm still your favorite.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dad

October, 2019 Nearly seven weeks ago, my dad died.  Writing that seems as surreal as the actual experience.  And yet, here I sit, fatherless...