Wednesday, October 8, 2014

The One About Hatch.

It's funny, actually, that the three times I have sat down to write words about our third son, our new three-year-old, the most gregarious and word-worthy, I have so few to write. You'd think this post would go on for days, but I just can't find the right words to accurately describe our boy or the ways he enriches our lives.

The words aren't doing him justice. But I will try.

There was something about him when he was born, just like there has been for all of the kids. There was the sudden awareness of a new person, a personality bigger than we were. He was beautiful. The smallest of all of the kids, and the fiercest, most intense (and longest) delivery. All of which came to be very telling, now that we know him well. 

Hatch is small. Tiny, in fact. But he opens his mouth and everyone stops to listen. He's got the vocabulary of a four year old, the voice of a two year old. He's probably as quick-witted as they come with the memory of an elephant and the sting of a bee. When I watch him, I get the feeling he is everything I'm not and I find myself in awe of how his brain works. 

Hatch doesn't give a s$&@ what you think about him, his confident oozes from every single pore. He does what he wants, unapologetically, and may or may not ask for forgiveness later (usually not, let's be honest.)  He pulls pranks all day long, disrupting every second of calm just because he can. He's not fussy, not a cry-er. Never has been. I can count on one hand the number of times that kid fussed at all as an infant.)  He's a do-er, a determined little boy who doesn't care at all that he's smaller than everyone else. He cares that he's more capable, and works all day to prove it. He uses his love as leverage, knows not a single obstacle, and craves a good challenge. He's our guard dog, ready to speak up if he feels wronged or threatened. Try to insult him (his brothers do constantly), and he couldn't care less. He knows. He just knows he's great the way he is. He's such an amazing kid, a blessing in every sense of the word, an integral part of our family puzzle. He's admired and adored. And he's three.

We love him fiercely. Because that's the kind of loving Hatchie understands. 

And, because what I have to say about him isn't enough, I give you his theme song. By Weezer. (No, I'm serious. If you take the time to listen to the song, you'll get it.) 

I love him. We all do. In a million ways, for a million reasons, few days pass by without me thanking God for this incredible kid. We needed him. Still do. 
I pray that God continue to bless William Hatcher Walden, though I have a feeling there is a good plan in place for him. I have an even stronger feeling he knows that, too.

Imma do the things that I want to do.
I ain't got a thing to prove to you.
I'll eat my candy with the pork and beans.
Excuse my manners if I make a scene.
I ain't gonna wear the clothes that you like, 
I'm fine and dandy with the me inside.
One look in the mirror and I'm tickled pink,
I don't give a hoot about what you think. 

-Pork and Beans (Weezer, 2008).






No comments:

Post a Comment

Dad

October, 2019 Nearly seven weeks ago, my dad died.  Writing that seems as surreal as the actual experience.  And yet, here I sit, fatherless...