Thursday, January 14, 2010

I'm starting this post knowing that it's going to be vague, and for that I apologize. This week has been one of the hardest weeks anyone in our family has had to endure, two of us in particular. I don't feel right not addressing it, as if life just went on. As of now, it hasn't. What was supposed to have been a joyful day for everyone turned suddenly and sullenly.

It's hit everyone in their own way, and last night, as I was trying to fall asleep, I pulled up Facebook on my phone. An old high school friend of mine had posted this song and I fell asleep listening to it on repeat. This simple gesture, not even directed at me, helped to make me smile for a little while. With a surge, it reminded me of this summer...and when things in our family were happy, carefree, full of hope, activity, time with the kids, and laughter. I know we'll all get back to that point, but it's nice to think about that time now. This song really has little to do with everything...just that it was in the background at several events this summer and it always brings back those memories.. It reminds me of Jessica's wedding, of hanging out with her in a smoky dive bar while having beers and listening to someone sing with only a guitar and a microphone. It reminds me of the stormy night Adam and I were without power and had a little impromptu date night with a six-pack and a couple of Woodwick candles; the night I told Adam of my ultimate goals of going back to school. It reminds me of Father's Day, when Katie and Josh told my father-in-law that they were (surprise!) expecting and the look of pure shock on his face, putting the kids on the slip-and-slide and laughing at their excitement and terror. It reminds me of the infamous dance party night, involving Katie, Jan, and myself, and unfortunately caught on video by Josh, and about which we are still brought to laughing tears everytime it's brought up. It brings back the feeling of when our little family had so few worries and cares and things were good. It gives me hope that we'll get there again...that those I love so much will find that peaceful and carefree place again.

I must say that, in a time of such sadness and humility, I am amazed at the strength that exists in this family...the family that I married into, but feel a total part of nonetheless. After seeing what we're capable of pulling through, I have never been more proud of that in my life.

I apologize again for being so vague. For privacy reasons, I don't feel right divulging such personal events and details, on the internet, no less. I do ask that anyone reading this prays/continues to pray for the Marsh family, two amazing parents and their beautiful children. Sometimes, life comes at us with plans to which we never agreed. We get no explanation or apologies. We barely get instructions that life has to move forward, and even that seems impossible. Sometimes, things just don't make sense. These little things seem to help...so thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dad

October, 2019 Nearly seven weeks ago, my dad died.  Writing that seems as surreal as the actual experience.  And yet, here I sit, fatherless...