Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Hilton Head

We are now back from our lovely (and truly excessive, in every sense) vacation to Hilton Head. Eating, drinking, sleeping in, playing with the kids, and trying to subdue them long enough to sleep for an adequate amount of time, left everyone sun-kissed and exhausted. It was a long drive there and a longer drive home, but it was a great way to end the summer. Here is a breakdown:


Friday: We pulled out of the Walden's (my in-laws) house at midnight. Deciding to caravan, I took the first shift. One extremely large coffee and a 5-hour energy shot and I was raring to go. RARING to go. As it turns out, this is not a good idea. Three hours later, I was so hopped up that my vision was blurry and I was gripping the steering wheel for dear life. NOTE: Do not try this lethal concoction again.

Saturday: After Adam took over driving, I woke up a few hours outside of Ashville, NC. With still 5 or so hours to go, I took over driving again while Adam hung out with the kids. One more switch behind the wheel (the kids respond quietly to me...not to much to Adam), and we arrived 14 hours after our departure. The house was GORGEOUS, beers were opened, pizza ordered, and we settled in for a quiet first evening.

Sunday: Here is where the days start to blur. Beach, food, pool, pool, and more pool...vacation is exhausting, but it sure is fun. We spent some time with Adam's extended family and some time on our own. We had days we woke up with an agenda and days we were happy not to shower and bum around our own pool all day. Alex rented bikes for the family, and we all took turns making meals, although Mary Ann (my mother-in-law) took the lead on this one.  Imagine a decadent life of family, water, sand, food, and drinks, and that about sums it up. If that sounds mundane, you'll have to trust me that it wasn't. It was anything but mundane, for sure. It was lovely.

Fast forward to Saturday morning, the day we were leaving, and Adam finds me sitting on the bedroom floor staring out the glass door to the backyard. With tears in my eyes, I explained to him that this was the end. I've been joking about how this has been the best summer of my life, but in truth, it has been. I've been able to do everything that I have wanted; I spent plenty-o pool days at the K of C, spent loads of time with our families, got to see extended family, had Leo baptized, re-painted the entire house and then some, read a few books, fixed both of the cars (ugh), finally got in to the storage unit (hooray!), and bonded with my two boys. The time we spent together could never be repeated, but it was great. I doubt they'll remember it, but I will. I'm broken-hearted to see it end, but what's that saying about being happy that it ever happened, not sad that it's ending? Yeah, that.

Here are some vacation photos:















No comments:

Post a Comment

Dad

October, 2019 Nearly seven weeks ago, my dad died.  Writing that seems as surreal as the actual experience.  And yet, here I sit, fatherless...