Thursday, August 5, 2010


With one day left until Hilton Head, it just makes sense that I would come down with a little stomach bug. As I sit here, I am looking around at all of the things that need to get done. We're having people stay over at our house, so as not to leave it empty for a week, so I need to make sure there are clean sheets and towels and at least a few groceries to keep them fed. There is laundry and packing to be done and then we're off. I cannot wait. A week away with some of my favorite people to close what's left of my summer could not be more perfect.

Leo just turned three months old and little Patrick will be 2.5 tomorrow (he's getting half of a cupcake and a candle, but he doesn't know that yet.) Leo has a giant smile and sweet disposition. He's started to reach for faces and just this morning, as I went to save him from Patrick, who crawled into Leo's crib again, Leo let out a little squeal of delight and showed a huge smile (of relief, I'm sure.) He's a big kid, that Leo. At three months old, he's just four pounds shy of Patrick at a year old. He can stand (with help for balance) and gets very proud of himself. He's a good baby. Really good. I adore him.

Meanwhile, Patrick's verbal and cognitive skills continue to impress. He can put ideas and concepts together pretty easily, can put in and start his own DVD's, brush his teeth without urging or help, and can talk back with the best of them. He is again suddenly terrified by the hair clippers, but will pick up spiders and earwigs with his bare hands to show them to me, just before crushing them between his chubby fingers. I was holding him while he slept last night and I remembered being sad when Patrick's back was no longer the size of my hand. As we laid down together, I realized that, with his head on my shouder, his little feet dangled past my knees. He's suddenly so big, and although he smothers Leo like crazy and he presents daily challenges to us, he's hilariously funny and clever. I adore him, too. Here are some Patrick gems from this week:

P: My sunglasses hurt me!
Me: Well, then tell them not to do that.
P: (Holding up his sunglasses) Mom. Look. I'm thinking they don't talk.
Touche.

While at Kohl's and Patrick refused to leave:
Me: Fine. Stay. Leo and I are going to go see Grandma.
P: You're not going to leave.
Me: Yes, I am. We're going right now.
P: You can't leave me here, Mom. I'm just a kid.
Again, touche.

My favorite was finding Patrick yesterday, shirt pulled up and attempting to breastfeed Leo. That will get brought up a few times in the next couple of years, I'm certain of it. In fact, I plan on it.

Now I'm procrastinating. I'm off to prepare for the beach. Hooray for family vacations!

Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dad

October, 2019 Nearly seven weeks ago, my dad died.  Writing that seems as surreal as the actual experience.  And yet, here I sit, fatherless...