Saturday, October 23, 2010

Teething Woes

Sweet Leo Walden is teething...again.  I hate teething.  Correction:  I absolutely LOATHE teething.  That sounds a little crass, but it's the only time that some crabby little monster comes in and possesses my sweet baby.  What is good (and bad) for us is that this crabby little monster only really comes out to play in the middle of the night.  Poor  Leo.  We're going on day 4 of middle-of-the-night painful cries, but last night was much, much better than the others.  There are a couple of things that we have learned:

1.) Leo is not a cry-yourself-back-to-sleep baby.  He has no self-soothing mechanism (pacifier, thumb, etc.)  I am his soothing mechanism.  Honestly, he may as well just have the umbilical cord still attached.  Even though Adam has really stepped up to help out, it's usually me that Sweet Leo prefers, especially when he doesn't feel well.  In a selfish way, I am flattered.

2.)  Early intervention is the key for this one.  Patrick could easily wake up and get himself back to sleep, even if he fussed for 10 minutes or more.  The longer we hold out on Leo, the more inconsolable he gets. 

3.)  This will pass.  Once our great little sleeper, sleeping through the night at 5-6 weeks old, we know he has it in him.  The restlessness has been going on for a couple of weeks now, with the last few days being the worst, but we know it can't last forever.  At least we hope it won't last forever.  Certainly, he won't be waking up in the middle of the night looking for his mom when he's 18.  If that happens, I probably won't be quite as flattered as much as creeped out.  (I'm kidding...kind of.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dad

October, 2019 Nearly seven weeks ago, my dad died.  Writing that seems as surreal as the actual experience.  And yet, here I sit, fatherless...