Saturday, March 26, 2011

Since hearing the baby's hearbeat this week, I have become fixated on the actual baby.  Not the soft, wrinkled, good-smelling person we'll meet in several months, but the baby right now.  Kind of slimy, transparent skin, very disproportionate little baby.  The thought of the doppler wand resting just above the little person made me think for the very first time about who he/she is now.  And I'm becoming a little obsessed.  I love the fetal development process.  God knows, I have studied it thoroughly twice now for fun, and then once for class.  I should have it down, maybe even be bored with it, but I'm not.  Not yet.  I'm fascinated.  I'm awed that this whole process goes on while I'm busying about my day.  It's mind-boggling.  And probably quite boring for anyone else.  I acknowledge that. 

Here is an 11-week gestation baby on an U/S:


It's starting to look less like a blob and more like a baby.  It has the beginnings of facial features and fingers and toes.  Technically, and according to clinical lingo, it is now a fetus...no longer an embryo.  Happy graduation, little one.  I'm looking forward to hearing you again on Monday!

1 comment:

Dad

October, 2019 Nearly seven weeks ago, my dad died.  Writing that seems as surreal as the actual experience.  And yet, here I sit, fatherless...