Thursday, December 15, 2011

So...What Do We Call Him?

I can't tell you how many times I have heard this.  If you're my dad, it's William.  Just William.  If you're me, it's sometimes William, sometimes Hatch, sometimes Will, and sometimes Hatcher.  It really depends who I am talking to.  My mom calls him Hatch.  Adam calls him Hatch.  Leo calls him Hatch.  Patrick calls him William.  Colleen calls him Hatch.  Wes?  Hatch.  Ariane?  Will.  Katie is undecided.  See?  It's so confusing.  It's exactly the scenario I wished to avoid.  As someone with several different names myself, I wanted to have kids with no nicknames.  But, here we are. 

Adam named this child, and while I have my own opinions on the matter, it's really up to him what we call our happy, dark-haired baby.  So, what's his name?  According to Adam, it's Hatch.  Hatcher, if you wish.  If he chooses to go by his formal name as an adult, then that is his call.  So, there.  Decided.  Hatch Walden; the tiny, charming, sparkly-eyed baby boy.  Two months later, and he finally has a name.  We get a C- for decisiveness.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dad

October, 2019 Nearly seven weeks ago, my dad died.  Writing that seems as surreal as the actual experience.  And yet, here I sit, fatherless...