Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Work Widowed, Again

Adam has started another round of traveling this summer, and though I don't have a school schedule to contend with when it comes to single-parenthood, this time around brings about its own challenges.  However, I am happy to report that we are managing just fine.  More than fine, really.  I'm getting good at this.  (I will never, ever tell Adam that.  There is no need to encourage his absences, voluntary or not.) 

The kids are clean, house relatively clean, and I even manage a few hours each night to study for my state boards (finally scheduled...and soon.)  However, there are drawbacks to not having our beloved Adam around.  Here are a list of pros and cons.

PROS
1.) Vegetarian meals every night, and nobody says, "This is it?"
2.) Limitless documentaries after the kids go to bed.
3.) I'm the favorite parent by default.

CONS
1.) I hate bathtime by myself. 
2.) Indy (the dog) gets crazy in Adam's absence.
3.) I have nobody with whom to have a real conversation.
4.) Sleeping alone...and waking up alone is the pits.
5.) No reinforcements, obviously.

So, while we have learned to manage while Adam is away, it'll never be as good as when he is here.  Work trips are no good at all.  This Mom still needs a break.  I'm sure Adam does, too.  Life is better when there are two of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dad

October, 2019 Nearly seven weeks ago, my dad died.  Writing that seems as surreal as the actual experience.  And yet, here I sit, fatherless...