Monday, July 23, 2012

Zaharakos

The Waldens did Zaharakos.  Cross that off of our list. 

This past Monday, I packed up the boys and headed an hour south to Columbus, Indiana (much to Adam's scrutiny.  He doesn't understand why I'd set myself up like that.  Since all three of the boys will compete to blood for my affection these days, it could have been disastrous...but it wasn't.)  If you have never been to Columbus, I would suggest it.  Since taking a "field trip" there in college, it's become one of my most favorite of Indiana towns.  It's beautiful, quaint, hosts fantastic architecture, and a really friendly, small-town vibe that I cannot get enough of.  (If you don't know, most small towns in the Midwest are likely to end up being dear to my heart. There is just something about small town charm that always makes me feel a little bit at home.  Naturally, this led to me calling Adam for a 10-minute persuasion session on why we should move to Columbus.  He didn't say yes, but he didn't say no, either.)

Going on, Zaharakos is an Indiana landmark, serving fountain sodas (the real kind!) and homemade ice cream since 1900.  It has beautiful, shiny floors and a marble bar.  The waitstaff wears bowties and there is mechanical music, which the boys really got a kick out of.  In short, this place was the coolest.  I foresee a birthday or six here.  Here are some photos from our truly excellent little outing.  I really love these boys.  And I love ice cream.  How could this have gone wrong?


And because I love a historical point of reference, here is Zaharakos in its (much) earlier days.  The table we sat at was the one in the far right with the coat draped over it. 

It was a happy day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dad

October, 2019 Nearly seven weeks ago, my dad died.  Writing that seems as surreal as the actual experience.  And yet, here I sit, fatherless...