Monday, March 21, 2011

Friends...Sigh...

It doesn't happen too often when you're the "bad cop," but every now and then, as a parent, you get the opportunity to step away from the disciplinarian role and into the buddy role.  Tonight is one of those nights.  With Adam gone at a meeting and Leo down for the night, Patrick and I have had the chance to spend a little bit of time together.  After the obligatory game of Pretend (he was Spiderman and I was Mom...I guess not too pretend), he hopped in the bath for a little watery fun.  As I was drying him off, he looked up and said, "Do you want to hold me for a while after I put my jammies on?  I really like when you do that."  Umm...yeah, I do, actually.  Then it went on:

"Do you feel like a snack?  I'm a little hungry.  How about we watch some TV together and eat some chippies with dip?  Does that sound like fun?"  You bet it does, little buddy.  It sounds like heaven.  With a belly full of Tostitos and some fresh salsa, I am happily snuggling one good-smelling three year-old boy.  (On a sidenote, I found out the hard way that salsa ferments.  Note to self:  check expiration dates.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dad

October, 2019 Nearly seven weeks ago, my dad died.  Writing that seems as surreal as the actual experience.  And yet, here I sit, fatherless...