Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Christmas, Christmas Time Is Near

It's so close! It's that time of year again! The eggnog is made. Decorations have been up for at least a month. I'm happily relishing in all things balsam or fir...and I'm just so happy. Honestly. My cup overflows. 

Today, the cleaning lady came, so the kids and I were banished to the basement. (Sidenote: she and her family brought us homemade rock candy. As if cleaning my house for me while I half-snooze in the basement wasn't enough. She's wonderful.) I digress. Annie was tired and, for the first time in forever, let me rock her. Her eyes fluttered before she fell asleep in my arms, her little hand reached up and touched my face. And, as if she knew I was watching her, she broke out into the biggest smile I have ever seen her make, scrunchy nose and all. She's happy, too. 

Leo crawled into my lap today, too, and wrapped his long body around mine and fell asleep. Hatchie stroked my hair and told me I was the betht mom effer. And Patrick, at choir practice, smiled and gave me the thumbs up as he nodded his head toward the door, motioning for me to leave the church and not embarrass him by staying and watching. (His confidence amazes me every single day.)

I don't know how I got so lucky, what kind of deal I had to make, to get this family. This life. Our life. I'm more tired than I can possibly begin to tell you (overworked, just like everyone else), but I'm blissfully aware of how truly fortunate I am. These kids, they have given me everything. 

I'm taking it all in. This past year, the holiday to come, these incredible people I get to call my family.

Christmas Cheer has got me good. 

What shall we give the children?
Christmas is almost here.
Toys and games and playthings,
as we do every year?

Yes, for the magic of Toyland
is part of the yuletide lore
to gladden the heart of childhood,
But I shall give something more,
a more sympathetic ear,
a little more time for laughter,
or tenderly dry a tear...

I shall take time to teach them
the joy of doing some task.
I'll try to find some time to answer
more of the questions they ask.
And take long walks in the sun.

Time for a bedtime story,
after the day is done.
I shall give these to my children,
weaving a closer tie,
knitting our lives together
with gifts that money can't buy.

 

*  *  *




No comments:

Post a Comment

Dad

October, 2019 Nearly seven weeks ago, my dad died.  Writing that seems as surreal as the actual experience.  And yet, here I sit, fatherless...